Co-sponsored by J-Lab, the National Press Club Journalism Institute, and AU’s MA in Media Entrepreneurship program.
Funded by the Gannett Foundation and the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation
We brought together women entrepreneurs who have launched media projects large and small. The shared how they are moving their ideas forward and offered advice on the best digital tools and strategies.
See the presentations on J-Lab’s Vimeo channel.
8:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast
9 a.m. Welcome, Introductions
9:15 a.m. Give Me the Money
- Grants – Nicole Hollway, General Manager, St. Louis Beacon
- Advertising – Diane Alverio, Founder Latino News Network
- Venture Capital – Melinda Wittstock, Founder CEO, NewsIT.net
10:45 a.m. Making Your Startup Work
- Strategic Partnering – Michele Kayal, Co-Founder, American Food Roots
- Bringing in Revenue – Jeanne Pinder, CEO & Founder, ClearHealthCosts.com
- E-Products – Laura Fraser, Rachel Greenfeld, Co-Founder, SheBooks
“Want to Truly Understand and Engage Your Audience? Tips and Tricks for Today’s Online World”
– VANESSA FOX, Author, “Marketing in the Age of Google,” Creator of Google Webmaster Central, Founder and CEO, Nine by Blue.
1:30 p.m. Digital Tools for the Media Entrepreneur
- Using and Tracking Social Media for the Media Entrepreneur Mandy Jenkins, Interactives Editor, Digital First Media
- 10 Tools for any Digital Entrepreneurs’ Toolkit – Jody Brannon – Editor, Next America on National Journal at Atlantic Media
- Media Entrepreneurs: 5 Things to Do and 5 Things to Avoid. Takeaways from Working on Two Startups. Ju-Don Roberts, former GM and Senior VP Everyday Health, Executive Editor of Beliefnet, Managing Editor, washingtonpost.com
2:45 p.m. Open Dialogue with Participants
3:30 p.m. Adjourn